The Studeblogger

Friday, September 04, 2009

PJ O'Rourke and the death of American Iron.

I've loved O'Rourke for years, since his days with the National Lampoon. I've read (almost) all of his books. He makes me laugh, think and, sometimes, get motivated.

His latest essay, on the death of the American automobile industry (and a romantic reminiscence on what it used to be) is posted on McLellan Automotive's site. You can read it here.

I agree wholeheartedly with P.J. I miss the days when cars were an optimistic means of propulsion to the future, instead of the gub'ment-regulation-befouled people pods they've become. Need transportation? Seating for 4 or 6? Want fries with that?

That's one reason my Studebaker will be my daily driver. First, so that I don't see myself coming down the road in the opposite direction 20 times a day... and, second, just to piss off the "pointy-headed busybodies" who control exactly how boring modern cars are. That's right, eat me, you beaurocratic bumblers!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Sweet! I knew wasn't the only guy driving odd makes; there is at least ONE other guy with the same intelligent, sound reasoning that led me to purchase and use my Lark as a daily driver!

    They can take their bail-out mobiles and stick 'em!! :)

    By Blogger CoreyLH, at 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home