The Studeblogger

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Getting wires in the right holes...

It was hot today but I got an important bit done - the plug wires are finally in the correct holes in the distributor cap.

I labeled the distributor cap with the plug numbers when I disassembled the engine for rebuild, but once the car was running, I found that the distributor had to be turned so far clockwise that the nipple for the vacuum advance canister was contacting the firewall!

Luckily, Dwain Grindinger over on the SDC Tech Forum had posted a copy of a tech page that shows exactly how the distributor should be clocked on Studebaker engines, and I realized that the PO had installed the distributor 90-degrees off. Armed with this info, I went out and moved all the plug wires around the distributor cap, connected the battery and fired her up. Sweet!

This is a good page to have since it explains how to find Top Dead Center, clock the distributor, identify the cylinder numbers and insert the distributor into the block - for both 6 and V8-equipped Studes. I've attached a full-size copy; feel free to print and stick it in your Shop Manual.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Wow, thanks for the tip. My 63 Daytona ran like poop since I got it earlier this year. Turns out the distributer was totally backwards so you could not time it right before the vac advance hit the firewall. She's purring now. If you know how to remove the chrome rings around the instruments on the dash, could you please email me? rjohnston79@hotmail.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home