The Studeblogger

Monday, September 22, 2008

Greetings from South Bend, Indiana!

Here I am in downtown South Bend! I added an extra day to a business trip and came to make a pilgrimage to the Studebaker National Museum, and then to SASCO.

It was about a 4 hour drive from Cleveland to get here yesterday, along I-80, the Ohio Turnpike. It reminded me a lot of driving I-5 through central California -- lots of farms, very few people. Just substitute corn fields for almond groves.

The window of my Holiday Inn room looks out on the scene to the left, apparently the city hall / courthouse complex. With an actual, lighted courthouse clock! In the distance I can see the Norfolk Southern moving through town on an elevated right-of-way; nearby are several very old stone churches surrounded by cool old Craftsman-style homes.

Amplification: turns out that elevated rail line is the remnants of the NYC route that once served the Studebaker plant. It runs immediately adjacent to the now unused South Bend Union Station and the former Studebaker Administration Building. More to come!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home