The Studeblogger

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Adjusting Idle Mixture on the WCFB

Idle mixture is an important setting on a carburetor, and most people don't know how to do it. What you're trying to do is set your carburetor's idle circuits for the most efficient operation with the least fuel.

There's no better tool for doing this than a vacuum gauge. It can also tell you a lot about the health of your engine; it's really an invaluable tool. For a great walk-through of how to use a vacuum gauge for diagnostics, check out this tutorial from Greg's Engine & Machine, of Copley, Ohio.

But for setting the idle mixture, there's nothing like actually seeing it done. Here's a short video tutorial I put together, showing idle mixture adjustment using a vacuum gauge on my '63 Lark with 259 and WCFB 4bbl. As you'll see, it's simple and fast - all you need are a tach, vacuum gauge, wrench and screwdriver.


Now go get 'er done!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • What adapter did you use to properly fit your air cleaner housing to the WCFB? I use one of the plastic Mr. Gasket ones for my cold air intake kit on my Hawk but that doesnt hold up to well.. And thanks for the video - I'll make one showing how to make positive closed crankcase ventilation for this engine as soon as it gets back from the paint shop!

    By Anonymous Ches Cain, at 4:23 PM  

  • Ches, I'm using that Mr. Gasket adapter as well, but I sure hate it. I've been looking at this part from MotorChrome, which claims to be a thicker molding, but haven't ordered one yet.

    By Blogger Clark, at 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home