Some good progress on the Lark yesterday. I spent almost all day on it, and I got a lot done.
The SDC Forum advice on how to get the engine back into the mounts nice and square paid off. I hooked the engine hoist to the block, loosened the transmission mount-to-frame bolts, and used my floor jack to lift under the trans pan. After a few cranks (about 8" elevation), the forward engine mounts were aligned above the frame brackets.
I could've used another hand, but since it was just me I wedged a crowbar between the firewall and engine and pulled the block forward a little more, holding it in position with a rubber mallet. Then I let down the hoist and the engine settled into the mounts like it should have been from the beginning! Torquing down the mounts fore and aft made it permanent.
It was early in the day, so I took the opportunity to get a few more things done. With the engine finally seated, I could mount the torque converter inspection plates. Then I torqued the new A-Arm bushing bolts to spec, reconnected the exhaust pipes to the manifolds, and installed the transmission filler tube. After that I installed new front shock absorbers and began reassembling the front anti-sway bar components.
Tech Tip alert: when installing the anti-sway bar, there are 4 rubber bushings that must slide into position along the (freshly painted) bar. If you try to put them on dry, you'll wind up frustrating yourself to no end. Instead, use a pure silicone spray lubricant on the bar; the bushings will slide on without any effort whatever.
There's a few more things to do to get the engine ready to start. I need to install a new speedometer cable (the core is missing from the old one), reinstall the driveshaft, mount the starter, and attach the engine accessories - intake and carb, fuel pump, water manifold, alternator and fan, etc. I'm starting to get excited!